THe Steps For the Written Examination
Entrance Testing takes place at the Vermont Police Academy (VPA) in Pittsford and consists of a written Entrance Exam, the physical fitness exam and the MMPI-2 (psychological assessment). The written Entrance Exam consists of 100 multiple choice questions that assess one’s abilities in the areas of Mathematics & Mathematical Reasoning, Judgment & Reasoning, Report Writing, Vocabulary, and Reading Comprehension. Reading study guides for taking standardized tests is suggested.
Individuals taking the Entrance Exam should arrive to the VPA by 8:30 AM. All testing begins promptly at 9:00 AM. To register for testing, the sponsoring agency must contact the Academy with the person’s name and which tests they wish them to take (i.e. Entrance Exam and/or MMPI-2/Psychological). “Sponsoring agency” means the agency the individual is applying for employment with.
Taking the Test
The Entrance Examination is administered once a month at the VT Police Academy. Thirty Dollars ($30.00) will be collected at the time the test is administered. You must also bring a valid photo ID with you.
- If you fail the examination once, you must wait one month before taking it again.
- Should you fail a second time, there is a four-month waiting period.
- Should you fail for a third time, there is a one year waiting period.
- Should you fail a fourth time, there is a three year waiting period before you can test again.
- Cash or money orders are accepted.
- Payment is required upon signing in.
- The Burlington Police Department requires a minimum score of 70% to pass.
- You must pass the Entrance Exam to move on to the physical fitness exam.
- You must pass the physical fitness exam to take the MMPI-2.
- The MMPI-2 fee is $25.00, which a representative from the Burlington Police Department will collect the day of testing.
- The Police Academy is not responsible for collecting this fee.
For individuals who have a learning disability, accommodations can be arranged, if needed, by contacting Drew Bloom. The Academy may provide accommodations for someone who submits adequate documentation of a disability that impacts test taking. This request must be made no less than two (2) weeks in advance of the test. Written requests are required.
Physical Training Examination
The physical training examination (a.k.a. PT test) consists of four elements:
- bench press
- 1.5 mile run
Failure of any of the four elements of the test disqualifies the candidate from entrance into the full-time basic training program. The physical training entrance test is designed in accordance with standards set forth by the Cooper Institute for Aerobic Research. It consists of a measure of dynamic strength, static strength, and cardiovascular fitness. Bring appropriate clothing, the run occurs outdoors.
2017 Entrance Testing Dates
March 14th 2017
April 11th 2017
May 2nd 2017
June 6th 2017
August 8th 2017
September 5th 2017
October 10th 2017
November 7th 2017
December 5th 2017